Safer Sunscreen for the Win!
Did you know, it is estimated that 90% of skin aging is due to the sun's rays?! Or that, more people are diagnosed with skin cancer every year than all other types of cancers combined? Scary stuff! While it seems like a no-brainer to slather on the sunscreen, if you know that there's a serious lack of regulation when it comes to personal care products, then you'll realize how contradictory it is to coat yourself with sunscreen containing cancer-causing ingredients! It's seriously hard to win these days... we are often left having to choose between the lesser of two evils. Enter Beautycounter's new suncare line. All of the coverage, none of the concern.
We just launched some amazing sunscreens for the whole family! Ours are mineral-based, using non-nano zinc oxide, which sits on your skin acting as a shield to literally block and reflect the sun's harmful rays. Our newest, not-so-secret ingredient is California Poppy! Both work to protect against UVA, UVB, and BLUE LIGHT! See, I bet you didn't even know Blue Light was a thing... I'm always the bearer of bad news! To break it down, UVA rays are aging; UVB rays cause sunburns, and Blue light is high energy wavelengths emitted from the sun, and technology (computer screens, cell phones, TV's, etc)... which cause aging.
We came out with 3 new types of sunscreen, so there's truly something for everyone. The most exciting, in my opinion, is our NON-AEROSOL sunscreen mist! Instead of using a aerosol can, which is not only harmful for the environment (think ozone layer-penetrating chemicals), but is also harmful to breathe in.... we use forced air to release the sunscreen from the can. Why doesn't everyone do this?! The spray has been super convenient to use on my son. It actually sprays on white so you can see it (my concern is that the spray never makes it to your body - with the white spray now I can ensure that it DOES)! Then, it rubs in clear, so you don't have that white residue. Winnnnn! This comes in a convenient travel size, perfect to throw in a backpack and go.
Next up is the OG lotion. I love a good lotion sunscreen... there's just something about rubbing it in that I like. ha. So typically people associate mineral-based sunscreens with that ghost-looking, white layer of residue all over your skin after applying. I can tell you that after rubbing in this lotion, you'll have a little glisten but NO scary white covered body... promise!
Last but not least, we have a cute little sunscreen stick. It's awesome for face application, and small enough to throw in a clutch and go. Perfect for when you truly need to downsize.
Let's talk about some of the ingredients commonly found in sunscreens that we will NEVER use in any product:
- Benzalkonium Chloride: A disinfectant used as a preservative and surfactant associated with severe skin, eye, and respiratory irritation and allergies. Found in: sunscreen, moisturizers.
- Ethanolamines (MEA/DEA/TEA): Surfactants and pH adjuster linked to allergies, skin toxicity, hormone disruption, and inhibited fetal brain development. Found in: hair dyes, mascara, foundation, fragrances, sunscreens, dry cleaning solvents, paint, pharmaceuticals.
- Oxybenzone: Sunscreen agent and ultraviolet light absorber linked to irritation, sensitization and allergies, and possible hormone disruption. Found in: sunscreen, moisturizer.
- Polyethylene glycol (PEG compounds): PEGs are widely used in cosmetics as thickeners, solvents, softeners, and moisture-carriers. Depending on manufacturing processes, PEGs may be contaminated with measurable amounts of ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, which are both carcinogens. Found in: creams, sunscreen, shampoo.
- Fragrance: An engineered scent or flavoring agent that may contain any combination of 3,000-plus stock chemical ingredients, including hormone disruptors and allergens. Fragrance formulas are protected under federal law’s classification of trade secrets and therefore can remain undisclosed. Found in: all types of cosmetics.
Steer clear of the above ingredients when selecting a sunscreen for you and your family! You would think that the government would not allow such horrible ingredients to be used in products on the market, but it's sadly not the case.
For the environment lovers out there (and who doesn't love the Earth, really)... you'll be happy to know that our sunscreen is coral reef friendly! It's also water resistant, which is a huge plus. We use SPF 30, which blocks 97% of the sun's UVB burning rays... by comparison, an SPF 50 blocks 28%. Have you heard that any SPF over 30 is bogus anyways... yes, so have I! And I believe it. Noah, my son, has used Beautycounter SPF 30 since he was a baby and he's never had a burn. It really does work! And unlike other zinc-oxide sunscreens, ours does not leave you with a white, ghost-like residue all over your body.
Let me know if you have any questions about any of our sunscreens! I hope you love them as much as I do, and they keep your family safe and sunburn-free all season long!